For players looking to get involved in these blockchain-based games and start earning cryptocurrency and NFTs, here is a breakdown of some of the leading games currently available.
In this game, players join an alien universe consisting of several planets where they must fight for scarce resources and mine the game’s native cryptocurrency, trillium (TLM). Players can also battle each other, go on quests and earn additional income by renting out their land to others.
Alien Worlds was the first game to break through 100,000 users and currently boasts over 2.5 million players. This was, in part, due to its free-to-play nature and the fact its metaverse world spans multiple blockchains including WAX, Ethereum, and Binance Smart Chain.
- Native crypto token: trilium (TLM)
- Blockchains: Native WAX blockchain, but also runs off Ethereum and Binance Smart Chain (BSC)
- Monthly user base: 1,000,000
- The initial investment required: You are required to buy NFT game cards such as land in order to mine.
CryptoBlades is a web-based role-playing game that emulates traditional games like Skyrim or Dark Souls. Players can battle monsters or complete in-game raids to earn SKILL tokens. To help with battles, players can craft weapons to build an advantage over their opponents or boost their power. These items can then be traded in an open marketplace.
The gameplay itself is straightforward. There are four main components – fire, earth, lightning, and water – allocated to each character, weapon, attribute, and enemy. Each component will have its strengths and weaknesses, which players must then utilize and build strategies to beat their opponents.
- Native crypto token: cryptoblades (SKILL)
- Blockchain: Binance Smart Chain
- Monthly user base: 510,000
- The initial investment required: Users will need to purchase around 0.2 BNB to play and pay for transaction fees in-game.
A Pokemon-inspired universe where you can buy, take care of, breed, and trade digital monsters called “Axies .” Axie Infinity runs off its own specifically built sidechain so that it can optimize gameplay and scale effectively.
The game has a high earning potential but requires high involvement to breed, care for and trade rare or unique Axies. These monsters can battle each other to earn SLP tokens or be sent on quests for resource farming.
- Native token: axie infinity (AXS) and smooth love potion (SLP)
- Blockchain: Ethereum
- Monthly user base: 308,000
- The initial investment required: You need to purchase three Axies from the in-house marketplace before you can play.
Upland is an NFT metaverse made to parallel our world where players can buy, sell and trade properties linked to real-world addresses. Users can then play, run businesses and connect with other Uplanders across the world.
Players have an Upland avatar that can roam throughout a city to look for available properties for purchase. Or they can visit other players’ properties. To earn special UPX rewards and increase a property’s earnings, users can complete a Collection. This is similar to Monopoly; the more properties you have of a single color, the more valuable they are.
- Native token: upland (UPX)
- Blockchain: EOS
- Monthly user base: 155,000
- The initial investment required: To open an account, you need to first purchase a virtual property.
This is a digital collectible card game where players build up a collection of cards with various abilities and stats and use them to battle other players. Each card is represented by an NFT and is tradable or can be exchanged on the open market. The game relies on one-on-one fighting where players are randomly assigned battle parameters.
Both players then have a limited amount of time to build a deck of cards they will use to fight each other.
- Native token: dark energy crystals (DEC) and splintershards (SPS) , which is the governance token
- Blockchain: Hive blockchain
- Monthly user base: 120,000
- The initial investment required: You must buy the summoner’s spellbook for $10 if you want to unlock the play-to-earn features and receive DEC tokens.
- Gamers Assemble: Play Games To Earn Crypto! GameFi Explained
- Applications and Use Cases of Blockchain Technology
- An Introduction in Blockchain, Cryptocurrencies, Tokens, Smart Contracts, NFTs, Web3, DeFi, GameFi and DeIn: Crash Course
- The 3 Cryptocurrencies You Should Definitely Invest In and More
- How To Buy Your First NFT Web 3.0 Domain: Ethereum Naming Service