Host Your Website For Free
Assuming the source code is in a git repository online(GitHub, GitLab, BitBucket, etc)
- Go to netlify.com and create an account
- Click “Add new site”
- Select “Import an existing project”
- Select Git provider_( I’m on github )_
- Authenticate and Authorize
- Select the repository
- Enter build command e.g this site’s build command is “hugo –gc –minify”
- Enter publish directory e.g this site’s publish directory is “public”
- Click “Deploy site”
That’s it. Depending on the static version you used. It will take some time.
Now, this depends on what tech stack you are using. I won’t lay down the details. Rather I’ll provide you with a few hosting solutions, both free and paid.
Making Your Website Web3 Compliant
As far as I know, the only possible way is by making a static site web3 compliant. I don’t know how to make a dynamic site web3 compliant hence will only cover static sites.
There are four URL options:
1. Constant Hashes => serve as links within ipfs and have been discussed in my previous article.
2. DNSLink => Simply put, a regular Web2.0 domain name from a DNS record.
3. ENS => Dynamic Url with a ' .eth ' ending and that is more readable than IPNs links. I would argue that this is the best domain choice for establishing a website, but the first option is free :)
- Unstoppable Domains => Dynamic Url with multiple endings. My recommended choice.
- Go to fleek.co and create an account
- Follow the same process as Netlify
- Select either IPFS or Internet Computer. Your choice.
Earn Money From Your Content Website
Here I won’t cover affiliate marketing and other popular ways to monetize your website as there are enough resources in the web.
1. Web Monetization
To monetize your site, you must:
Set up a web monetized receiver (wallet) for receiving payments. Supported wallets.
Get your wallet’s payment pointer. E.g. $wallet.example.com/alice
Create a special
<meta>tag that tells Web Monetization providers how to pay you. e.g.
<meta name="monetization" content="$wallet.example.com/alice">
<meta>tag to each page of your website that you want to monetize. E.g.
<!doctype html> <html> <head> <title>Web Monetized Site</title> <meta name="monetization" content="$wallet.example.com/alice"> </head> </html>
For a more detailed look at web monetizing your site, see the Web Monetization explainer .
Congratulations! Your website is now web monetized.
2. Basic Attention Tokens
3. Digital Product
Create an account on Gumroad, and start creating digital products and selling. Then use their overlay widget on your website
- The Future of Daily Tech: How NFTs will Impact Your Future
- Best Cryptocurrency Wallets 2022
- Hire Web3 Developers: Everything you need to know
- What is a Stable Coin?
- Don't Just HODL Crypto Make Money While You Sleep With It