Here’s how I achieve flow state and do deep work/study and how you can too.
First of all
What is Flow State?
Flow is a state of mind in which a person becomes fully immersed in an activity. Positive psychologist Mihály Csíkszentmihályi describes flow as a state of complete immersion in an activity.
While in this mental state, people are completely involved and focused on what they are doing.
The ego falls away. Time flies. Every action, movement, and thought follows inevitably from the previous one, like playing jazz. Your whole being is involved, and you’re using your skills to the utmost," Csíkszentmihályi said in an interview with Wired magazine.
Benefits/Characteristics of Flow State
- A heavy sense of concentration
- Sense of clarity
- Greater happiness
- Increased engagement
- Improved performance
- More creativity
- Greater enjoyment and fulfillment
Here are the steps of achieving flow state or deep work as others like to call it:
1. Remove Distractions
Eliminate all distractions:
- Switch off your phone or put it in airplane mode
- Close your room door
- Put on some headphones
- Make sure you are well hydrated and have eating to your fill
- Journal to avoid internal distractions
2. Challenge and Skill Balance
Flow state requires a balance between one’s skills and the challenge at hand: if the challenge is too demanding, we become disheartened and can experience negative emotions such as anxiety. Conversely, if a task is too easy, we become disinterested and indifferent – when we experience flow we are actively engaged but not overwhelmed by a challenge.
3. Try Some Music
LoFi, Jazz, Classical Music(Mozart, Beethoven), and White Noise have all been shown(scientifically) to increase mental performance, focus and boost concentration. Try finding something that’s not too complicated or with lyrics.
Here are some examples:
- Inspire Yourself by Neotic
- Monday Jazz by Jazz and Bossa Collection
- LoFi HipHop Radio - Beats to relax/study/work to by Lofi Girl
- Best of Classical Music by Just Instrumental Music
- White Noise by Relaxing White Noise
4. Set Up Your Environment
- There’s water and quick snacks
- The time is perfect when you are at your biological peak - Mine’s early in the morning before anyone has woken up or late at night when everyone’s asleep. Notice the trend. People are often sleeping hence conquers rule no 1, no distractions.
- Light some candles, incense, or some diffuser of sorts - This prepares the mood and sets the stage. Research more about the kind of scents that make your brain more in tune with work. My fragrance/scent of choice is Sandalwood. Got some sandalwood + natural pyrethrum incense sticks. This clears 2 steps 1. eliminating distractions: mosquitos and 2. propping up my environment.
- Make sure everything you’ll need is at arm’s length
- Keep a small notebook to jot down things you may encounter as during flow state you may realize a sharp rise in the brain’s ability to find solutions and ideas.
5. Don’t Multitask or Procrastinate
Multitasking and Procrastinating kill flow state.
- Have a todo list
- Avoid doing 2 things at a time
- Start with an easier task then slowly do more challenging tasks(not too challenging read step no 2)
- Try the Pomodoro technique or the alternative Animedoro technique
Our partner of today: Santa Lucia Fragrance
Santa Lucia Fragrance has an oil diffusing kit that will help you achieve flow state. Especially if you choose their “Work” scent. This goes a long way to helping you achieve flow state and boost your confidence. Aside from their oil diffuser, they also sell 3 unique and different fragrances for Work/Office/To Conquering, Play/Sensual/Come Closer, and Everyday.
And they are giving you 10% off all their products. Better hurry, their products sell out fast. Linked down below are their oil diffuser kit, car diffuser kit, and their 3 fragrances. The coupon code is: STEPHENAJULU
- Santa Lucia Fragrance Oil Diffuser Kit
- Santa Lucia Fragrance Car Diffuser Kit
- Santa Lucia Fragrance 3 Perfume Kit
Check out their other products and learn more about the science that went into the designing of their scent: Santa Lucia Fragrance